Are you lactose intolerant? Sensitive to dairy products? Would you like to cut the calories down in your smoothie or just want to enjoy a banana smoothie without yogurt? Give this recipe a try, I think you are really going to enjoy! Remember to be creative, there are so many options that make this such a great smoothie.
- 1/4 cup of pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 2 peeled bananas
- optional: 1 peeled peach or 1/4 cup of pineapple or a peeled mango
- splash of Silken tofu, soy milk or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of local honey (optional, but does add a little extra taste)
- handful of ice
- blend until smooth
If you are looking to make your banana smoothie into a breakfast smoothie try adding:
- 1/4 cup cooked oatmeal
- handful of almonds
- blend until smooth
Perfect smoothie banana tips
Of course, utilizing frozen bananas in smoothies makes for a thick and frosty smoothie, but if you are looking to get the best banana flavor in your smoothie (it isn’t called a banana smoothie without a reason,) try blending bananas that are at room temperature. Bananas that are yellow or yellow with brown spots tend to have the most flavor and blend better for a good smoothie texture. There is no right or wrong way with fresh or frozen bananas, it just depends on the depth of banana flavor you are looking for. If you’re going to use frozen bananas, then you will want to have a blender that can handle them. Check out our top blender picks to be certain you have one that can take care of frozen bananas with ease.
Supercharge that smoothie?
Try adding one of the recommended supercharge ingredients:
- Chia seeds: filled with Omega 3’s, fiber and helps to curb appetite and improve sleep and mood
- Flaxseed: packed with fiber, lignans and Omega 3’s and is a powerful antioxidant
- Protein powder: perfect for meal replacement smoothies and pre or post workout drink (I tried chocolate protein powder with this and it tasted like dessert)
Were you bananas about this smoothie?
Did you give this a try? Did you use fresh or frozen bananas? Do you have a recipe you know we’d all like to try? What did you think of your final concoction? Please leave a comment or any questions below.