If you’ve spent any time at all researching the Vitamix 5200, then you’re already aware of many of the base features of this blender. In this Vitamix 5200 review I will hopefully touch on some of the often unmentioned pros and cons of the Vitamix 5200. Let’s first take a look at some of the general information about the Vitamix 5200.
The Vitamix 5200 is one of the entry-level Vitamix blenders currently on the market. It is the first model as far as price is concerned, that offers variable speed blending. Having the ability to select variable speeds will allow you to use your Vitamix for numerous food processing jobs without over blending.
This blender features a two peak horsepower motor and a high-efficiency radial cooling fan. This should allow your blender to be used for long periods of time with great power and without overheating. Alright, let’s talk about some pros and cons of the Vitamix 5200.
- Variable speed blending – Once again, this allows you to complete various food processing tasks without over blending
- Impressive seven year warranty – Vitamix stands behind many of their blenders with an impressive seven year warranty. If you ever have to have the unit serviced, they will provide you with free shipping to a service center or a replacement if your unit cannot be repaired. This is one of the best warranties currently offered on any blender line.
- Smooth blending – This unit will obliterate almost anything you can throw at it. This results in very smooth smoothies, delicious ice creams, and even homemade peanut butter. One thing is certain, though, you will want to make sure that you also have the Vitamix tamper as many jobs simply can’t be completed without it.
- Ability to create soups and blend hot liquids – You can literally create hot soups in this unit simply by blending. It’s honestly pretty impressive that you can have a delicious fresh homemade soup in just over five minutes without even touching the stove or microwave.
Alright, so we’ve taken a look at some of the pros of the Vitamix 5200, let’s take a step back now and look at some of the cons. Unfortunately, few products are free of having a few things that may irk you.
Cons of the Vitamix 5200
- Standard 64 ounce container is too tall for most kitchen counters-With the base and standard blending container of this unit, you will see an impressive height of 20.5 inches. This is much taller than many kitchen counters allow which results in having to store your blender and accessories separately or being unable to have it assembled on your countertop.
- The Vitamix 5200 tends to be a little louder than most other blenders – Many users have complained that the noise produced by the Vitamix 5200 is simply unacceptable. However, I have not personally found this to be the case.
- Frequent use of the tamper – First, it is important to note that the tamper seldom comes included with your Vitamix blender. You really do need a tamper however, as you will find yourself frequently using it with almost every blended creation that you try to make. Having to frequently use the tamper does become slightly cumbersome and frustrating.
All in all, this Vitamix blender is wonderful if you have never had one before. If you want to see one of Vitamix’s more powerful base units and how it compares to the Vitamix 5200, check out our comparison review on the Vitamix 5200 Vs. 6300. At a price point of $450 or less, however, it is certainly an investment that is not to be taken lightly. The good news is that it is backed with a seven year replacement warranty if needed. That alone gives most buyers a little bit of reassurance.
The biggest issue that I have with the Vitamix is that you must frequently use the tamper. This does become aggravating overtime as other blenders in this price range will complete many blending jobs without ever having to touch the tamper.
Honestly though, if you’re looking for a strong blender with customer service to match you really can’t go wrong with a Vitamix. Just remember though to definitely buy the tamper along with your purchase.
Have you tried one of the Vitamix blenders before? What are your concerns with Vitamix? Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments below and as always, thank you for reading.